Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Love or War?

 

"He was a hunter who one day, decided to become nature.  He was the only lover who, when his beloved turned to water, agreed to become water himself, without wanting to be held back by the boundaries of an identity."  P. 174 Calasso
Well, Alpheus sure got it right didn't he?  Or did he?  Isn't that what we all do for love....transform ourselves?  The story of Alpheus was actually one I enjoyed.  He couldn't have Artemis so she gives him Arethusa and so the chase begins.  I don't think we can really help ourselves sometimes when it comes to love.  It's innate, that tingling feeling when it happens.  We become possessed and have this overwhelming sense of urgency to succumb to this great desire.

I had just finished reading the story of Alpheus and Arethusa and decided to catch up on Facebook.  I hadn't visited my friend Simon for a while and decided to see how he was doing.  Simon works for the International Red Cross and is currently in Libya where he covers the story and turmoil of their war.  I sometimes feel silly about the day-to-day mundane things I do compared to the wonderful and selfless things my friend does.  Then I decided it was time for sleep.

I can hear the bombs all around me and my friend and I talking about school and where to find it.  We are in the midst of explosions, left and right, but it doesn't affect us and I become conscious about this fact but don't voice this to him.  We then decide to find our classroom and quickly and swiftly like a movie are inside a labyrinth of hallways and doors and voices that carry up high and waft in the air.  I turn around and Simon is gone and I wake up.

I'm going to Skype my friend today and see how he's doing.  Dreams sometimes feel too real.

No comments:

Post a Comment