How Did It All Begin?
We are introduced to Europa and her take of being taken away by Zeus contrived in the body of a white bull and learn how stories and tales go on to be generational as in her granddaughters who hang themselves out of “shame and desperation.” (p. 11)
We are taught how mystery began through the myth of Daedalus hiding Crete’s secrets; what true friendship is through Theseus and Peirithous and why Greek boys have thin buttocks.
Ultimately, we learn that there are various versions to every myth and the telling of it as in the case of Ariadne. I for one prefer the version of Artemis killing Ariadne as Dionysus watches because it ties into Chapter 2 where everything is brought together into some sort of cohesion—though it is confusing at times in trying to keep up with who is mortal versus who is a God!
It’s all about the origin of creation, tragedy and the general “rites of the mysteries” (p.34) and the sad, sad tale of Erigone and Icarus and brings us back to the question, “But how did it all begin?” (p.45)
Is it the myth (or truth?!) of the Bible and how most of the world believes in some kind of supreme being, or God, who created the mass void of the universe and the Eden we live in today. But what does the atheist believe about creation? Or Darwin? I remember in 3rd grade learning about Native Americans and how I was told they were the first people on Earth. During this lesson, I raised my hand and said, “I thought Adam and Eve were the first people on Earth.”
How did we begin? Are we a foolish society grasping onto these myths/truths so we can make sense of the world—such as where the constellations of Sirius and Virgo derived and of the origination of the Solstice.
Towards the end of the movie “Contact,” with Matthew McConaughy and Jodie Foster, he is asked whether he believes what Jodie’s character has experienced, during the 18 minutes of unaccountable time where she was transported to another dimension, to be true. And he responds, “I, for one, believe her.”
Myth is about making sense of the world and the mysteries that surround us.
No comments:
Post a Comment