"So she would often walk along the beach, go down into the sea, raise the water from the waves and pour it over her breasts. A gesture of love." P. 67
This quote could be evident today and instead of Iphimedeia falling in love with Poseidon, it could anyone of us falling in love with a significant other. Would I go down to the sea, raise the water from the waves and pour over me as a gesture of love? So mythology takes us on a path of truth where we can translate the myths into our everyday lives and their meanings. Sexson said that myths have power of authority, if not, they become fantastical. I believe opening oneself up and letting the myths fall into the crevasses of our daily lives can delight and chafe all at the same time. I find all these myths, though difficult to read at times, lucid and intriguing all at once.
What I enjoyed most about listening to the creation myths from everyone was the ownership we all took in the telling of these stories. I enjoyed Stefanie's presentation the most because she was "in" the story herself which was evident by her delivery.
Some of you may have found the tale of La Llorona a bit disturbing and I tried to present as a fantastical tale but no matter how it's delivered, either by Wena or myself, it's a sad story for children to be told. Jennifer thought it borderline abusive to tell children this story, and it was. I often had nightmares about it as a child and once actually went outside my window to see if La Llorona was coming for me because I had cried that day. There are a lot of tales like this in the Mexican culture I grew in. It's a curiosity that such tales were thought to be "o.k." and actually told humorously at times but the person being addressed is the one whose interpretation of it can be harmful and put a fear in a child where none should be.

I think lots of these stories amount to abuse, including the Boogey Man! I wasn't criticizing you for telling it, at all.
ReplyDeleteAlso, it was so sad that her husband was unfaithful and it drove her mad.
Personally, I recall being very afraid to look under my bed after being scared by tales of the Boogey Man. People probably know better these days, I hope, than to terrorize kids with these stories.
The Grimm's Tales are very grim. They sure didn't shy away from telling the most macabre details of life, did they?